Website/Blog Under Construction. We'll be done soon!
See CTA Recent Events:
Saturday, May 2, 2015
Fire at 2020 Broadway Due to Gas Leak on May 1, 2015 at approximately 10:08pm
Once again there has been a fire because of the installation of a new stove performed by a handyman instead of a Licensed Master Plumber as required by law, and as repeatedly pointed out to our landlord.
The fire was contained at 2020 Broadway, Apt #4F last night, May 1st at approximately 10:08pm and reports indicate it was caused by a gas leak.
This is NOT the first time there has been a fire because of a faulty stove installation. Further it is NOT the first time we have gas leaks in stoves installed by unlicensed workers.
If our landlord continues to disregard the safety of his tenants, then we must take matters into our own hands. Our lives literally depend on this.
A few of us will be speaking to an attorney about what we can do to ensure we are not continually put at risk because of ABCs disregard for the law and obvious lack of concern for their residents.
Attached are two photos. One taken on the 4th floor during last night's fire.
The second photo shows the fire escape ladder over Barcibo Enoteca's "APPROVED" outdoor cafe.
We do not know HOW Barcibo was allowed to BLOCK a fire escape, but we certainly intend to find out and try to correct this very serious fire hazard.
Many of you have reported gas leaks in your apartments or vacant apartments.
If your stove has been REPLACED, if you know an apartment was recently "renovated" and know that a new stove was installed by a handyman instead of a Licensed Master Plumber, if you have JUST MOVED IN, or if you smell gas CONTACT CON ED immediately by dialing 3-1-1. They will come to the premises, inspect the stoves and prevent a possible fire .
It is far better to be safe than to have a tragedy occur.
HERE IS A LINK TO AN FDNY Apartment Fire Safety Manual:
Please take a few minutes to review it. I cannot over emphasize how important it is to be prepared in the event of a fire, or how to actively participate in fire prevention.We live in very old buildings. None of them are fire resistant.
RE: THE FIRE DRILLS
The Fire Department has to make sure the fire escapes are in working order and that any of the issues, such as broken, steps, or any of the rusted areas do not cause the fire escapes to detach themselves from the building.
Once this inspection occurs and the fire escapes are PROPERLY FIXED -- then we can begin to try our fire drill exercises. I urge you all NOT to try to use the fire escapes on your own UNTIL THEY ARE INSPECTED.
Please pass this information on to your neighbors who may not be on our mailing list.
Kirby Sommers, President
Cornfeld Tenants Association